Sunday, March 4, 2012

My Pet Project

Spring definitely feels like it is on its way today.  We have bright warm sunshine (which is swiftly melting the snow) and 60 degrees. 
Spring (for me) means “chicks”! 

I am always interested in the new and interesting when it comes to chickens, I had recently spotted a ‘new to me’ variety on the internet.  They are called Swedish Flower hens and they just caught my eye.  click here to see photos of them

This year I have invested in an incubator with high hopes of hatching the little darlings myself. 

I started with a smaller incubator that will hold 7 chicken eggs.  It will automatically turn the eggs for me so I don’t have to think about it.  


DSC_0004

The incubator arrived first, then a week or so later here came my box of eggs.  It was so warm here when the order was placed, then what do you know, the first storm we have had in a long while is at the same time as the egg shipment.   I made sure to track them so I could  rush to the Post Office and pick them up.

I was so excited to see this box when the Post Master handed it to me.   

DSC_0001

I am not the only one getting ready for Spring with chicks, I heard a lot of chirping in the background at the post office.  Someone was getting some new babies. 
When I opened my box the eggs were very well packed and not one broke.

DSC_0002

So that is what I have in my incubator now, I just hope they did not get too chilled in transit.  We are counting down.  19 more days to go.  

You know I will share when (if) I get any to hatch.  We’ll have a party!

signaturePamelaclink

4 comments:

  1. What fun, Pam. You are going to enjoy your spring chicks! Anxious to see what they look like.

    I hope you will pop by to help us bring 'angel love' for a young girl who is sick.

    Thank you.
    Have a beautiful week ~
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Egg-xciting!! haha-couldnt resist!!
    ~~Rain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chicks are one of my favorite things about this time of year! It is always exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an old post, but I was wondering where you got your incubator... we may be buying a home soon and hopefully it would be somewhere where I can have chickens, so I'm starting to do my research now. I hatched 2 chicks from eggs in elementary school in a homemade incubator, but I'd rather have one that turns it for me :) Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...