Sunday, March 11, 2012

My Spring Mantel (aka: shelf or potting bench)


The first attempt at Spring display was a flop so I did a second. 

My first was a shelf over the French Doors of my studio, it is a good place for display and for my pothos plants. I decided it would be a good Spring Mantel.  I dug around for stuff I had and brought together this selection.

shelfmantle1

I was so disappointed in the lack of light, I tried to photograph at different times of day when the light was brightest but still I was just not able to do it justice.

shelfmantle2

It was not easy to get these shots, I had to climb a ladder and duck my head under the loft of my studio.  What I needed was a tripod, remote and wide angle lens to do this shot justice but since I do not have those things this will have to do. 
I may give it another shot with a new display and some alternate lighting.
 

Since that was a flop I decided to take another tack.  My potting bench is what I used for my Fall Mantel display and I have less trouble with the light since it is outside.

potmantel2

The yellow paint is chipping wonderfully so I just dusted off the extra flakes, it makes a great shabby backdrop for my accessories.  I still have failed to paint the legs at the bottom but now it is becoming my signature.

potmantel4

My sign seems to have a tilt to it. I need to fix that.  I had considered painting some pastel pansies in the corners of the sign.  What do you think?  Pansies or maybe some scroll work? It needs something but inspiration has not struck yet.

See my little bunny beside my bucket of ivy? My mom painted that.

bucketbunny
He is really a rock but now a cute rock. bfly-y

Well, those are my two Spring mantels so far, I have an idea for a third.  Coming soon….

I hope all are enjoying their weekend!  Our last sunny day was yesterday, today the clouds roll in for a week of rain! 


signaturePamela

My Website



I Heart Nap TimeUndertheTableandDreamingBetween Naps On The PorchPhotobucketMakingToday's Creative Blogshabby creek cottageBeyond The Picket FenceThursday Favorite ThingsSomewhat SimpleChic on a Shoestring DecoratingCountry Momma CooksFunky Junk's Sat Nite SpecialJoin us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for
 the weekend wrap up party!
The Lettered Cottage

26 comments:

  1. Delightful! I love the potting bench. When inspiration comes for your sign, you'll know. Scroll work would keep it for use in any season, but pansies say Spring to me. Yours are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I'll be glad when I can do some outside decorating, but it'll be after spring cleaning the porch. The South always has bugs of some sort, no matter the season. Nice flowers sign on the potting bench, and that's still on my to-make list.
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your potting bench is so charming, and the gardening accessories add just the right touch! Very well done! (And I think pansies or violas would be delightful on the sign.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your "mantel" are so pretty! I love the iris sign, that is just gorgeous Pam. Your little bunny is adorable too. I know that you will find inspiration for your flowers sign, you do such beautiful work.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your chippy yellow potting bench. Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your potting bench! I want to make one and it's on my list of "Things To Do". Thanks for sharing and hope you have a wonderful day, Gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both your mantels look pretty. Love the chippiness of the potting bench. BTW, I need to find a really tall tripod. Standing on a step ladder trying to hold really, really still isn't working for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your potting bench is so pretty..gives me an idea to redo mine! So cute with the rake, birdhouse on little shelf ! LOVE it!
    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute potting bench!!!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful!
    ... love your potting bench :)

    Greetings from Australia♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so love that potting bench--and I want one really, really bad! Thanks for sharing a bit of your spring--I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Pam!
    I am in love with your potting bench and curious if it is homemade? Lovely displays - Please come by my linky party hapening now to link it up - I would love to see you there!
    Stacey of Embracing Change
    http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your potting bench. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is gorgeous.Would luv for you to share it with our readers at
    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2012/03/happy-st-patrick-day-2012-with-linking.html
    Thanks
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  15. So fantastic, I love the back part with the shelf--nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome displays, both of them. As for the sign, leave it as is. Nothing is needed, it's perfect just like it is, unless you want to distress the corners and edges a bit. Leaving it like it is will allow you to use this sign anywhere in any season.

    Found your blog via Katherines Corner blog hop! So glad I did :)

    Blessings,
    Cindi
    http://www.rustiqueartblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful mantel display! I think your inside pics turned out wonderfully, I can only imagine it's all the more fantastic in person too! We'd love it if you wanted to link up to our Repurpose-Remodel-Reveal linky party, I know our readers would love to see it too! (It starts tomorrow- Friday, March 16th 2012 at 7:00 am and reoccures every 1st and 3rd Friday)

    -Whitney @ TheRoosterAndTheHen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your sweet potting bench! Love the sign! I had the same problem with photos of my mantle, in person I love it but in photos it looks heavy and random. No fun when something looks great in the room but in a photo just not as good? Although sometimes it works the other way to ;) I think yours looks great though!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful! I love the sign, bike planter and the birdhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Both adorable and I think your first mantle is wonderful...not a flop at all. Very, very charming.

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE your potting bench! Your shelf is cute, too!

    I am linking from Katherine's Corner.

    Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    xo,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  23. I REALLY like your potting bench! I have been saving up my old fence boards to make one, so hopefully soon! First time to your site via Funky Junk, can't wait to poke around a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So pretty! I love your signs, too!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  25. i'm in love with your potting bench display - yum! anything with a watering can sucks me right in. beautiful!

    www.NorthernCottage.net

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...