Friday, March 9, 2012

My New Roses!

Yesterday was fabulously gorgeous!  The temps reached near 60 here in the mountains and inside my greenhouse (where I spent a good portion of the afternoon) it was near 90.  Woo hoo! Bring on the heat. 

I did need to leave the door open to catch the nice breeze as I worked and it felt so good to be out in the sun. 

My Heirloom roses arrived this week.  I had them shipped to a friend that lives in a warmer zone (though it is a mere 15 minute drive from me) so I could get them sooner than the company would’ve shipped them to me.    Since I pot them up and leave them in the greenhouse until they are bigger I do not worry about them surviving and flourishing.

Here are the 4 climbing roses I bought, all are very hardy, disease resistant, FRAGRANT and quite vigorous.

(click on the any of the rose photos to go to the site I purchased them from if you wish)

kiss_of_desire[1] Kiss of Desire

lavender_lassie[1]Lavender Lassie

portlandia[1]Portlandia

viking_queen[1] Viking Queen

They arrived packed snuggly in these pots.

DSC_0010

Next to them you see some hollyhock seedlings that need potting up as well.  Though our nights are still below freezing they shall do fine in the greenhouse despite my lack of supplemental heat. 

DSC_0018

Here they are all snug in their 2 gallon pots with fresh potting soil mixed with worm castings and a bit of perlite for good drainage.  I water them in the a fungal mix that helps the roots develop.

Here is also an update of my English Delphiniums I started last Spring.  They went dormant during the winter but with the warm of the past few weeks they have sprung up in their pots.  I transplanted many to my garden last Fall but I had some left over in the greenhouse and they are doing beautifully.  I started a new batch and so far they are doing great too but no where near as large as these yet.

DSC_0015

I did splurge on some pansies yesterday, I just could not resist this fresh face of Spring.  I will use these to gussie up my potting bench which I can view from my living room.

DSC_0012

I love my greenhouse but it is in such disarray, I need to take a day and really get it organize to make the most of it.  I really have greenhouse envy though when I see what Tootsie has, check out her greenhouse and all the plant starts she has going.

my button

Seeing her fabulous planting space makes me want to dig in and get mine in tip top shape.   I guess I should do a before and after post on my greenhouse, maybe that will help get me motivated to take the time to whip it into shape. 

Another gorgeous day on tap today, so I shall endeavor to make the most of it.  Next week is looking rather iffy as far as sunshine goes so I should take the time to enjoy it today. 

mllsm166signaturePamelamllsm166

my website
My Website




Friday is for FARMGIRLS!Country Momma CooksFunky Junk's Sat Nite Special





13 comments:

  1. lovely! We have always had trouble with roses, ( earwigs) But I look forward to seeing yours. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous roses! I also bought a few this year and even put one in my vegie garden .. so I can smell the roses while I'm working in there.. have fun planting.. Maryann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see your greenhouse!!!
    I am just so happy to have the chance to visit here today!! Wouldn't it be wonderful if we all could tour each friday's flaunting gardens together and in person? I would love it!
    I wish I had more time to visit all of my favorites everytime you post!
    Thank you so much for linking in and sharing your post with my party today!
    I have shared your post this week with the Tootsie Time Facebook page.
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm... are you ever in for some beautiful blooms this season! Larry

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just planted my first climbing
    rose this week and I can't wait
    for it to reach 6' (as they say)...
    yours are wonderful...
    Happy Spring
    ps... what I'd give for a green
    house.....
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just planted my first climbing
    rose this week and I can't wait
    for it to reach 6' (as they say)...
    yours are wonderful...
    Happy Spring
    ps... what I'd give for a green
    house.....
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for linking up @CountryMommaCooks…..I love your roses......have a wonderful weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I popped over from Pink Saturday and what a sweet treat to see these lovely roses. My favorite flower!!!! I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures of them in the weeks to come. Happy Daylight Savings Night.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since I am in Oregon, I have been to Heirloom Roses, and it is wonderful to walk around their gardens. I recognized that Portlandia rose in your picture right away as it is one that I have been thinking about! You might also check out Rogue Valley Roses, another Oregon heirloom rose site. My boss has bought a lot from them and was really impressed- especially with their good root growth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My grandfather had such a beautiful rose garden, and he always chose an unusual addition every year. I've tried to grow them, but it's either me or our clay soil--no luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how beautiful!! That orange & pink rose is stunning! I hope you'll share photos of it when yours blooms.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such pretty roses - it looks like you are using your green house for all that it is worth - allowing you to get a "jump start"!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good Luck with your new roses, I'm sure they will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...