Thursday, April 19, 2012

The oh so Versatile Armoire

Is there any piece of furniture so versatile as an Armoire?  Originally used in the 16th century to store weapons (according to this Short History of the Armoire)we can now find them used as a home office, to store clothing (how original), to hide away our televisions and other electronics when not in use or how about an ENTIRE kitchen.

This Kitchenette would work great in my studio. 

image

My studio is 12’x 12’ and would make a perfect little guest cottage with the addition of this little ‘kitchen in a cupboard’ and a bathroom. 

I guess you could pop out a little area on the back to add the bathroom. 



The kitchen would fit great on the back wall where this armoire is then have a door out to the bathroom next to it. 

DSC_0029

Here is a use I had not thought of.. A chicken house, how crazy is this, but fun!



A Home Office (BHG)

desk armoire cabinet hutch storage

Need a pantry?

baking armoire storage

A lot of folks find used armoires on Craig's List or at yard sales (I have yet to do so and I have been looking)  but if all else fails build your own, free plans at Ana-White.com.  I would highly recommend using kiln dried lumber as opposed to builder grade for the quality and longevity of your project. 

She made this one as an indoor chickie brooder but she may well regret that, they cause a lot of sinus irritating dust and dander no matter how clean you keep their area.  Ask me how I know!

Chick Brooding Cabinet
 
signaturePamelaMy Website






shabby creek cottageThursday Favorite ThingsA Delightsome LifeChic on a Shoestring DecoratingFunky Junk's Sat Nite Special
 

12 comments:

  1. I would like to have the last one...the little chicken brooder. Since I raise new little ones, just about every Spring. It would fit perfectly in my Den. On top could be all my Art BooKs that are in a small bookcase now.
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the kitchen idea. Have never heard of that one! Thanks for sharing! My own post this week is about how I transformed an armoire into a craft station. Check it out when you can...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzanne, it seems you are a no reply blogger and your profile is unavailable. I tried to come visit you but it was a no go. I will try again later, hopefully you will see this.

      Delete
  3. Who knew? Chicken coop or kitchenette. Great ways to reuse an armoire! Thanks for sharing this idea! I'm a new follower hopping from Katherine's Corner. The Thrifty Blog Frog http://thriftyfrogblog.blogspot.com
    Huge green hugs,
    Pat @ Thrifty Frog Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post--what a great selection and variety of jobs these cabinets play! I have a media one, with my kids' art supply in the bottom section. I'd love to repurpose it into a mini office. Love all of your inspiration pictures! The mini kitchen is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I'm visiting from Katherine's Corner. These are some fantastic ideas! They are so inspiring...my mind is racing!

    Sharon @ mrs. hines class

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pam: I'm Connie at http://hotflashncraftn.blogspot.com/, your new GF friend. I would love it if you stop by and be mine, too.
    I love the ‘kitchen in a cupboard’. It's the cutest little studio that you have. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely kitchenette :)
    Visiting from Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop

    Greetings from Australia♥
    ~Pernilla

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are all great idea. But that kitchen in a cupboard a lot. Thank you for linking to the Thursday Favorite Things hop. Hugs and happy weekend wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pamela, This is the coolest things since sliced bread - and that is exactly what I'll share tonight on my Home and Garden Thursday post - you will be one of the features! I love the chicken house - can't wait to share with my husband! I have been begging to have chickens in the backyard! I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh y ou are just so clever!

    I LOVE YOUR STUDIO!!!!

    It is such a perfect little space, I absolutely adore it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous ideas! Especially the kitchenette, but I also love the chicken house as well as the brooder. Your studio is very charming, how fun to have that all to yourself.
    Hugs, Cindy
    PS I came over from Delightsome Life

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...