Friday, April 29, 2011

How We Built our Potting Bench


Another sunny day but with such a strong wind that it was hard to enjoy it.  I needed to paint some signs but I ran out of chicken feed and the ladies were not going to wait!  So I wrote up a shopping list for groceries, pulled together the paperwork for a business bank account and warmed up the Suburban.  I like to group errands if I have to run and make the most of my gas $$$.  While I was running my errands I stopped in at a thrift store for the hey of it.  If I was hunting for some furniture to paint I would’ve scored, they had a nice dresser, side table and some dining chairs that would’ve dressed up real nice with some paint, and they were priced very reasonably. 

As promised I have the photo step by step of building our potting bench ready to view.  We do not include a plan or pattern as we determined size by the fence boards we used on the back, but if you wish for plans try finding something similar at Ana-White.com.  You can get the basics there and then do like us, wing it!

First off we had purchased these fence boards at Home Depot a couple weeks ago.

DSC_0173 

Sorry for the shadows, we were in a bad spot but it was the only one we could work in.  We lined up the boards until we were satisfied with the width, then we took the measurement and built the base using that measurement.  We used 2 x 3’s for the frame.  We set them up in a dry run before fastening them together.

DSC_0174

Predrill all the screw holes to prevent splitting.

DSC_0178

Drill thru to the piece that your top piece will be attached to, it will help line up the screws.

DSC_0181

Here is the first frame, now to build the lower part. It is the same steps so I will spare you the steps of that one.

DSC_0187 

We dry fit the legs, which were cut from 2 x 4’s.  We cut them an average table height.  You can make the potting bench any height you prefer or find comfortable.

DSC_0189

Square them up with a Speed Square.

DSC_0192
Hold them steady with a big foot as you screw the legs to the frame.
DSC_0194

Now with all 4 legs attached and a nice base frame.

DSC_0208

Up until now we have not used glue but we will use it to attach the fence boards for the back. Just a bit for added strength.

DSC_0213

The clamps come in handy to keep these large unwieldy fence boards under control.

DSC_0216

After attaching the first board we dry fit the rest and find that one board is quite bowed and will have to be clamped before attaching to line it up.

DSC_0220

Finish attaching the rest of the fence boards.

DSC_0223

Now that this post is becoming longwinded I shall stop here and add the rest to the next one.  This entire build took us about 3 hours.  Just so you know in case you want to try to build one yourself.

It looks as if the wind has died down finally, I think I will spend a quiet evening outside raking a bit.  The exercise will do me good.

Be sure to come back for the final assembly of the potting bench.

signaturePamela



Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for
 the weekend wrap up party!Funky Junk's Sat Nite SpecialUndertheTableandDreamingThe DIY Show OffTip Junkie handmade projectsMy Uncommon Slice of Suburbia Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. Yall are so creative,and I know this bench will be something to enjoy for years,love it!

    ~Jo
    LazyonLoblolly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I might need to build me one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your potting bench is great -- thanks for the tutorial!
    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Pamela~

    I keep telling my husband I need a potting bench, I think I may just have to show him yours, it is wonderful!! So nifty, neat & creative. I invite you to link to my fun & inspiring blog bash K.I.S.S. Happy to be a new follower of your lovely blog. :)

    Drop By The Tattered Tag

    ReplyDelete
  5. Swoon! It's beautiful!

    Would love for you to share at Calling All Crafters!
    http://allthingsfee.blogspot.com/2011/05/calling-all-crafters-5th-edition.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tutorial!! I would love it if you would link this up to my party A Marvelous Mess....each week I pick one project to feature on my sidebar!! Here is the link: http://marvelouslymessy.blogspot.com/2011/05/marvelous-mess-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely bench! You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh I want one too...you all did a great job, cant wait to see how you decorate it.

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job on the potting bench! I linked this to my gardening post too today, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your potting bench! I've never seen one in white. It looks great. I'm pinning it to my board:
    http://pinterest.com/deborahlynn/landscapefeatures/

    ReplyDelete
  11. What is the height of your bench at the table top? Love this bench so much!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...