I gathered up my supplies and went to work. Some old buckets I have collected and a big galvanized tub that has had many uses over the years.
We took down an oak tree last Fall and I am left with this stump in my front garden.
Not the prettiest of sights and I have wanted to do something to disguise it. This section of my yard needs a lot more help but this is a start.
First, we drill holes for drainage, a regular drill bit did the job just fine. Both of these already had some small holes from wear and tear but we made sure they really drained well. The smallest of the three needed no extra drainage as it did not have much of a bottom at all left, it was pretty well rusted off.
I added a good inch or two of perlite to keep the roots airy. I buy perlite in big, big bags as I make my own potting mix and need a lot of it.
I use an empty plastic pot as some what of a filler so I do not have to use more potting soil than absolutely necessary. Plus it will be a stand for the next bucket. I place it towards the back as I am going for a more waterfall effect than all around planting.
The next bucket I could’ve used another upside down pot, if the top bucket had a bottom at all, but since it did not I filled the middle bucket with the potting soil. I planted them up and watered it in.
I had at first thought to only use the trailing lobelia in all blues but I do love the Easy Wave petunias and could not resist, and the Margarite sweet potato vine.
here they are at another angle. I transplanted some larkspur around it, let’s hope it takes, even if it does not it is full of seed pods that will reseed in place. There will be plenty of larkspur here next year.
We celebrated this morning, our first tomato from the garden. It is a Super Sweet 100 cherry tomato and it was just that, super sweet and yummy. We split it.
Isn’t it so pretty. Love that color red!
Off to work I go. I have another garden post full of gorgeous flowers for you so check back soon.
Come see what I have been up to in the studio.