Friday, July 6, 2012

Old Buckets and a Waterfall

I have been dinking around with an idea in my head for awhile and it finally started to come together.

I gathered up my supplies and went to work.  Some old buckets I have collected and a big galvanized tub that has had many uses over the years. 

buckets2

We took down an oak tree last Fall and I am left with this stump in my front garden.

buckets4

Not the prettiest of sights and I have wanted to do something to disguise it. This section of my yard needs a lot more help but this is a start.

First, we drill holes for drainage, a regular drill bit did the job just fine. Both of these already had some small holes from wear and tear but we made sure they really drained well.  The smallest of the three needed no extra drainage as it did not have much of a bottom at all left, it was pretty well rusted off.

buckets3

I added a good inch or two of perlite to keep the roots airy.  I buy perlite in big, big bags as I make my own potting mix and need a lot of it.

buckets5

I use an empty plastic pot as some what of a filler so I do not have to use more potting soil than absolutely necessary.  Plus it will be a stand for the next bucket.  I place it towards the back as I am going for a more waterfall effect than all around planting.

buckets6

The next bucket I could’ve used another upside down pot, if the top bucket had a bottom at all, but since it did not I filled the middle bucket with the potting soil.  I planted them up and watered it in. 

buckets7

I had at first thought to only use the trailing lobelia in all blues but I do love the Easy Wave petunias and could not resist, and the Margarite sweet potato vine. 

DSC_0012

here they are at another angle.  I transplanted some larkspur around it, let’s hope it takes, even if it does not it is full of seed pods that will reseed in place. There will be plenty of larkspur here next year.

We celebrated this morning, our first tomato from the garden.  It is a Super Sweet 100 cherry tomato and it was just that, super sweet and yummy.  We split it. Smile

DSC_0023

Isn’t it so pretty.  Love that color red!

Off to work I go.  I have another garden post full of gorgeous flowers for you so check back soon. 

signaturePamela
Come see what I have been up to in the studio.






Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for
 the weekend wrap up party!Country Momma CooksFunky Junk's Sat Nite Special DIYMakingToday's Creative BlogMy Uncommon Slice of Suburbia shabby creek cottageBeyond The Picket FencePhotobucket

24 comments:

  1. Hi Pam! What a splendid and charming idea. It looks wonderful! I would be delighted if you would link up to Potpourri Friday, in progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'll be! I have a stump just like that in my back yard! LOL! I was just going to mulch around it and then put a container of geraniums on it but I like your idea much better! That is going to be gorgeous when it all fills in! Thanks for a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute idea, turned out great, our little cherrys are ready as well, nothing better than popping them in the mouth straight from the vine :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had a great idea when turning those old containers into a work of art. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so very creative, love it, you need to come to my house and work some magic in my yard! Hope you have a fun Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pam - I've seen this done with terra cotta pots but not galvanized containers - looks great! Love it and would look great in my mountain yard also. Thanks for the inspiration and Happy Pink Saturday to you, Dru

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome. Can't wait to see a photo of when it is blooming. Thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love old buckets. Your idea is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You split a cherry tomato. How cute is that?
    This bucket planter is wonderful.
    Gives me ideas, as I often do when I read your posts.
    Enjoy the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, so very pretty and colorful. It's perfect for that spot. Have a wonderful summer. Hugs...Lu

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very, very pretty. I found you through Feathered Nest Friday. I will have to try this!
    Katie
    Let's Add Sprinkles

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this idea, and it's exactly how I would have handled the stump. Use it rather than dig it up! The plants you chose are going to look wonderful together as they mature.

    We've been enjoying the sweet 100's, too. Still waiting for our plum tomatoes to ripen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is great! It turned out so lovely! I really love it and want to find some old buckets so I can do one too! :) We'd love it if you'd share this at our Home is Where the Heart is! http://www.homesteadsimple.com/home-is-where-the-heart-is-link-it-up-wednesdays-1/
    and any other posts you'd like to share that have to do with homesteading and homemaking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I'm stopping back by to say thank you for sharing your creativity at Potpourri Friday at 2805!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your bucket waterfall looks amazing and your cherry tomato delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That cherry tomato is so tiny you must've shared it with a kiss!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a great use of your old buckets. It looks really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cute! I love the industrial look of the galvanized buckets with the beautiful flowers.

    We just got our first tomato of the season too, but I ate it all by myself. haha.

    I'm visiting from Fishtail Cottage's party.

    Have a great day.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your great project is being featured at tonights link and greet party at CountryMommaCooks : ) Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very cool!
    Would love if you stopped by my party to link it up!
    Stacey of Embracing Change
    http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and the website to see what is currently in bloom.
    rustic bouquet

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...