Monday, June 18, 2012

My Summer Mantel

Summer officially begins this coming Wednesday evening. (in the Northern Hemisphere) These last few days of Spring have been mighty toasty, in the 90’s here which is abnormally hot for this area.

DSC_0005

I am not complaining, I do love the heat but I know many do not feel the same. 

My garden is flourishing as it changes from the Spring blooms to the flowers of summer.  I treasure hunt each evening walking amongst the abundance of flora to find red ripe strawberries snuggled at their feet.

DSC_0001-001 

I have let the strawberries roam at will and now I have tons of sweet fresh berries waiting for me to find them.  It forces me to walk slowly and look intently, thus I find other sprouting plants that are reseeding themselves, either to my delight or dismay.  Those causing grief are yanked out immediately before they gain a toehold.

The weekend was whirlwind filled with activities but I did fit in the decorating of my Summer Mantel. 

I use my potting bench that we built that resides on our back deck.  It is in full view from the living room.

summermantel

I kept it light and simple.  A minimum of fuss and clutter.  Soft colors, focusing on the summer roses.

summermantel2

A close up of the Seashells sign painted on reclaimed lumber complete with nail holes. 

DSC_0022


I have a few succulents tucked into a hyper tufa pot I made a couple weeks ago.  I was practicing, I want to make some much larger tubs and I wanted to give the technique a try on smaller items first. 

I love them and I will be sure to share the making of my larger tubs.  I just need to build the form.
 
hypertufapot

This one is still empty so you can get an idea of what they look like. The mix took on the shape of the mold, the ridges add interest.

hypertufatray

I will be back to bore you with more garden photos during this coming week.  I have a ton.

signaturePamela



Between Naps On The PorchDomestically SpeakingSomewhat Simpleshabby creek cottageHookingupwithHoH

14 comments:

  1. Your potting bench is so beautiful! I'm sure you are enjoying all your outdoor space this time of year. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. This potting bench is fantastic! What a great thing to see when you are sitting in your LR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh how I love me a good potting bench - love it in white!! xo

    www.NorthernCottage.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, Pamela! I love your potting bench period, but the light way you've decorated it is perfect for these Summer months!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam,

    Every gardener needs a potting bench like the one you created -- a beautiful vignette and functional! I adore the little bird perched on the seashell. A perfect home for your succulents. I painted a Seashell sign and have it in our "Necessary Room".

    Deborah
    FairfieldHouseNJ.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your potting bench and how nice to see it from indoors.

    The succulents look great and the seashell sign gives a summer touch to the area.

    Happy Summer Time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hubby isn't going to like you **wink** ... I WANT that potting bench!! You can never ever bore me with plants. The iris is fabulous.
    TTFN ~
    Have a lovely day ~
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful--I love all the pinks and blues against the white background--very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a beautiful setup. I love the calmness of the colors.

    I love all of the plants and flowers posted on your blog. I am your newest follower! Please feel free to stop by my blog, www.jamscorner.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks very nice also love the seashells sign.
    Will have to look on your blog for the hyper tufa pot tutorial to see if you posted it (just found your site today). Very neat looking pots.Would love to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like what you've done with your bench. I have something similar my husband and I built several years ago...I currently use it as a "baker's rack." We are planning to build a new "rack" and convert the old one to a potting bench with a bowl "sink" for my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is Melissa @ daisymaebelle.com. Love your potting bench. Especially love the succulents! I am a fellow partier over at Miss Mustard Seed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What beautiful photos of your garden! Love seeing the juicy strawberries waiting to be found. Your potting bench vignette is also really lovely. Stopping by from Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special. Thanks for sharing! :-)
    Sharla

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...