Thursday, June 21, 2012

For the Love of Summer!

My absolutely favorite time of year, Summer.  Can life get any better than this…

Canterbury Bells in purple..

canterburybells

We have had a full week of fabulous temperatures that have my garden outdoing itself.  I take my first cup of coffee out each morning to enjoy the blooms of the day. 

This week has been cram packed full of activities but I take my sweet time in the morning to just soak up what I love about this time of year. 

Pink Sweet Peas

pinksweetpea

We are to have a cool down, a dramatic one over the next 5 days or so.  Most of my plants will do just fine if the nights do not drop below the 40’s.  My tomatoes and basil will not like it in the least so I will try to give them some protection.

Princess Diana rose

princessdiana2012

Seems ridiculous to have to protect the plants when it is more than past mid-June.

Eden Rose

DSC_0015

It is what it is.

This rose below I do not know the “real” name for.  I just call it my Grandpa Nute rose.  Grandpa Nute was my paternal grandfather.  This rose was planted out by his well house for 30 odd years.  Each summer my cousins, brothers and I spent a good week or so with our grandparents.

We had tons of fun. Getting up at dawn to milk the cows with Grandpa, he sharing his coffee with us before we headed out to the barn(our cups were filled with mostly fresh hot milk with a tad of coffee and a teaspoon of sugar).

grandpanuterose

As we all traipsed to the barn loaded with milk buckets and other milking paraphernalia, we had to go past the well house.  Grandpa would pause as he gazed at this lovely rose blooming it’s heart out and rhetorically ask, “isn’t that the purdiest thing you ever saw?”

Grandma could see the rose from her kitchen window and she was just as attached to it.

So when we had to sell their house I made sure we dug it up (I should say my patient and loving husband did, he broke 3 shovels and nearly his back to get it out of the ground for me)and I took it with me. 

grandpanuteroseclose

It loves it here and I can see it from my studio French doors.  I need to take cuttings and propagate it, it is one tough puppy and it blooms forever. I am training it to cover this lattice, soon I will have a wall of red roses. 

I have a couple roses in pots on my back deck and they are performing well too.

Anne Boleyn

DSC_0001

Dreamweaver

DSC_0007

My foxgloves are at their best.

DSC_0005-001

This one is an unusual banana crème color.

DSC_0009-001

Petal Pusher

DSC_0002-002

Elke cranesbill geranium

b

I have tons more but will share those another day.  I am glad you could join me for a little garden tour.  This journal of my blooms will be lovely to look back on this coming winter.

I can at least pretend to be taking a morning walk in the garden as I sip my coffee by the woodstove on a cold, dark winters morning. 

Happy Summer!


signaturePamela


Tootsie TimeCountry Momma CooksFarmgirl Friday Blog Hop

15 comments:

  1. That red rose is amazing! The color is so rich. That's marvelous that you have a piece of your past with you and such great memories! Love the foxgloves and the cranesbill!
    I do the same- takes lots of pictures so I can remind myself when winter has taken over that I have something to count on and look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The foxgloves are so beautiful. But what I love the most is your story about the red rose bush. I can just see your farmer grandpa, milk jug in hand admiring its beauty. And your grandmother admiring it from her window. Heritage gardening is a way we can keep our families and their stories with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. all of your blooms are amazing! i love that you brought that red rose climber with you. I brought a lot of plants from our old house (stored them at my mom's place while we were building here) so glad that i did, as it just brings pieces of history with me! thanks so much for linking up to this weeks garden party! love it! (finally just got my own post up) lol xoxo, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pamela
    Just love the roses :)
    HAPPY MIDSUMMER
    and do not miss....

    M
    I
    D
    S
    U
    M
    M
    E
    R

    P
    A
    R
    T
    Y

    it is FUN :)
    WELCOME
    Håkan ( The Roseman)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing! -Marci

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beauty! Your flowers are so Vibrant!I LOVE getting my plants from family and friends as it lends to the story of your garden:)Thank you for sharing,Deidre~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely gorgeous! Happy pink Saturday.

    Come and see my PINK entry, when you get a chance, thanks!

    PS.. I am now following your blog, it would be delightful if you can follow my family blog too, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful flowers...I used to have sweet pea at my old house and am trying to get some growing here this summer

    I LOVED your rose story : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your roses on the lattice. Happy gardening. I haven't felt a 40 degree night in awhile, but I understand why your roses don't like it because I don't miss it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely "walk" through your garden. And I quite enjoyed the story of your Grandpa's rose too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photos are simply stunning! Grandpa's rose is so pretty next to the Jackmanii clematis. I have my Grandma's rosebush. I don't know the real name of it, so it's just called Grandma's Roses!
    Happy REDnesday,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am just so happy to see that you have linked in this week...and to have the chance to visit here today!! I thank you so much for linking in and sharing your post with my party today!
    I have shared your post this week with the Tootsie Time Facebook page.
    Have a wonderful week...what is left of it! lol
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...