Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Lilacs and rooting cuttings.

This is the oh so fragrant lilac next door.  I love this old variety, the scent is to die for and it is a tough as nails plant.

DSC_0004

Every year I look forward to it blooming though it has been neglected, denied regular watering when it is dry and never fertilized but still it powers on. 
 
Go here if you wish to see my post of a tutorial on rooting cuttings from this plant. Rooting plant cuttings.

DSC_0008

I started these cuttings last July, late in the month.

cuttingsindirt

And this is what they look like today.  One is larger than then other as I had potted it up into a larger pot earlier than the smaller one.  Lesson learned, pot up sooner for larger plants.

DSC_0002-001

DSC_0003-001

Here is a rose I started along with these.

DSC_0004-001

It is a miniature rose that climbs along the ground, it has the sweetest little white roses when in bloom.

I have been busy painting away on shabby custom signs and my bench, I have finished painting her though I do need to do a bit of sanding to smooth her finish.  I used my homemade chalk paint.  I will seal her with a exterior varathane but I need to get more, all I have is semi-gloss and I would prefer a matte for this job. 

I will share her and my signs soon.  I hope to have the plans for building the bench along with my post, it just depends if my husband has time to render the drawings. 

All the best..
signaturePamela
My Website

Today's Creative BlogMy Uncommon Slice of Suburbiashabby creek cottageBeyond The Picket FenceHookingupwithHoHFarmgirl Friday Blog Hop
Tootsie Time Fertilizer FridayBetween Naps On The Porch

8 comments:

  1. The lilacs are beautiful! I'm going to take a look at the post to see the how to's. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lilacs! Last year I planted Japanese dwarf Lilacs by my pergola. They are blooming now and filling the air with such a sweet scent. Great that you were able to take cuttings. I would love it if you shared this with my link party!
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at you GROW!!! wooo hooo!!! I love Lilacs...they are my favorite...I always love the way they smell and bloom so proudly! I am planting one in my new gardens this year...I hope it likes it here!
    I wish I had more time to visit all of my favorites every time you post!
    Thank you so much for linking in and sharing your post with my party today!
    I have shared your post this week with the Tootsie Time Facebook page.
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for linking up over here at Fishtail Cottage's garden party too! love seeing those gorgeous lilac's in bloom! Thanks for the tutoral - i am definately going to try this - so so sweet of you to share with the rest of us! Hoping you have a fantastic weekend! hugs!
    ~tracie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful old Lilac. Your cuttings have certainly flourished beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks promising to grow mini rose indoors. I should try propagation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't imagine a spring without lilacs. We have lots growing along the roadsides where I live and I'll often stop to cut a few branches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing, we are going to try ours as well!

    http://theredeemedgardener.blogspot.com/2012/05/hardening-off.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...