Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Christmas Cactus Blooms in July?

You may recall this post I did back in January

Christmas Cactus cuttings

DSC_0005

I have lost only a few of the cuttings but since I have two in each pot and duplicate pots I am still very pleased with their progress, especially as I have been negligent a time or two with watering on especially hot days so the losses were entirely my own fault.

To my surprise and delight I already have a bloom, in July! 
First a lovely bright bud..

DSC_0009

'Then a full on flower.  I can’t wait to see what the others do.
They are still on the small side but that is most likely my neglect.  I have now moved them to a spot that I will be sure to see them so even in the busiest of times I won’t forget to water.

DSC_0001

Enjoy your day, I am off to help some family move.  It should be enjoyable even if it is to be 100+ degrees in the Valley!

Tomorrow I want to post my August 1 garden walk photos for my garden journal.  There are tons of photos so if you wish to enjoy a tour come on back to indulge.


signaturePamela

2 comments:

  1. How exciting to see Christmas Cacti blooms in August! You must have withheld water at just the right point to trigger blossoms.

    I'm rooting some from a friend. All she could tell me was that they are 'different colors' so they remain a mystery until they root and bloom. All I had before was a bright red-orange. I hope for white and pale pink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had my Christmas cactus bloom in the summer most years as well...it's kind of neat and surprising when it happens! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...