Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Greenhouse Move

DSCN0284

My greenhouse is another favorite space of mine.  And it has resided behind my garage for several years. I have shared about it previously in this blog.

I thought placing it here the best use of this otherwise rather awkward space but I paid scant attention to how little direct sun this spot gets. 

In the winter,  it gets none.  That is when you primarily want the sun to hit it.

In the summer the sun hitting directly on it is superfluous.  So, that being said, I have finally convinced by husband to move it to a much better spot.

This corner of our back deck.

Our home is built on a slope so this deck is high off the ground, you can see our neighbors roof straight back (the roof to the left is my studio).  Anyways, this spot is one of the few places that gets some direct sun in winter and now that the sun is once again heading higher in the sky each day it will soon get a lot more sunshine. 

DSC_0001

A perfect, easily accessible place to start my seedlings for a bountiful garden this summer.

First we move all our current back deck stuff to the side and shovel off the bit of of snow.

DSC_0002

He takes the greenhouse apart bit by bit as I try to keep up with clearing out my potting paraphernalia.

DSC_0003

And move the panels to the deck.  We found many places where the snow bombs (heavy blobs falling from the trees) had actually broken parts of the frame and it was just a matter of time before it collapsed so this move was timely.

DSC_0004

With all the repairs along the way the reconstruction is taking a bit longer than anticipated.

DSC_0005

Then it began to snow so our hands kept getting wet thru our gloves.

DSC_0007

And the snow kept on coming.

DSC_0009

So we gave it a rest. 

DSC_0010

I get excited every time I spot it out there.  After we get it erected we shall attempt to insulate it better, hopefully it will hold some heat.
 
I have different ideas on decorating around it so it will look nice from inside the house.  We look right out our slider and we see greenhouse so making it pretty is a must.
 
When not working on this I have been working on the website, still.  So much to learn but it is coming together. Right now I am waiting for a tech to tell me why my slider is not displaying the correct price in the ‘featured items’ slider.

Take a gander if you wish. 

My New Website

With all this snow and it being the holiday season there are many vacationers up so that means lots of homes to clean.  So take a guess where I will be…

Until next time, with photos of the completed greenhouse, I hope.
signaturePamela







4 comments:

  1. Pamela,
    Looks like you and your husband have a lot of work to do to get the greenhouse moved. I too have a greenhouse in our backyard, my husband erected it about 3 years ago, so I'm anxious to see what you do around yours to make it look pretty. It's a constant thought process for me to make ours appear like it SHOULD be where it's at. We built a little walkway with a covered trellis to make it blend in BUT I know that I need to do something else, just don't know what yet.
    Hope you had a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! I hope you like the new spot! Looks like it will be nice and sunny :)
    I would love to have you share this on Wildcrafting Wednesdays! Please stop by and vote for your favorite post on our People's Choice Awards at:http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2012/12/peoples-choice-award-for-wildcrafting-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a big project but oh the fun you'll have just stepping right on to your deck to plant your seedlings! Wonderful! Thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just inherited a basic greenhouse- the kind that uses a plastic cloth, from my brother in law since they are moving. I would like to put in on the deck since we don't use it at all but was wondering if the cold coming up from below would be a problem? Mine is a main level deck but due to the hill, it's actually one story up from the ground. Do you lay something beneath it to keep out the cold?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...