Friday, May 16, 2014

Learn to Paint Fabulous Pink Roses!

rosesandlilacsbannerAre you ready for another painting tutorial?
Roses are my specialty and I know they can be a bit tricky to master...
but believe it or not they are really fast and easy once you get the steps down pat.

Which you know what that means...
practice, practice, practice!
For me, videos have been a huge help in learning how to paint.
So I made another rose painting video for you.
Paint Pretty Pink Roses
Paint Shabby Pink Roses in 3 minutes, This is the actual painting I did in the video.

I am working on another to show how I painted all the flowers and leaves on a sign like this one.
  I will share that very soon.
With that post I will also include a link to a pattern packet.
Complete with a list of paint colors and brushes used.

The rest of this post is photo intensive.
I am going to show you stroke by stroke of how I paint my roses.
The video is great because I do 3 roses in a row and it displays how each is a little different.

Lets get started...
first double load your brush with your two colors,
stroke an upside down U.
I do this in 3 steps
rosedemo1I wiggle my brush as I stroke to get some movement in the petal.
rose2See the bit of wave in the petal?
Now do two scallop C strokes and bring them down to a point...more or less
rose4I did the outline of the design on my board with the graphite much darker than I normally would so you could see it in the photos.
Typically it is so light the camera would have a hard time picking it up.
This is the actual design that will be in my pattern packet.

Now paint in the second layer of the top of the bowl of the rose,
same type strokes
rose6Since this bowl is a little wider I don't do another layer..
but my video does show me demonstrating a rose with a third layer in the bowl.
I dab in the pink on the corner of my brush to fill in the center.
Sometimes I add a darker value of pink here to accentuate the center of the rose.
Next we add the arms,
again these are a scalloped C stroke with tails
rose7Before we finish up the bowl we put in the bottom petals..
scallop strokes
rose8That was the center and now a bit to the sides
rose9We are now ready to come in and finish up the bowl of the rose
Start the chisel edge on the side or on one of the tails of the very inner bowl and make a scalloped U stroke.
rose91Attaching it to the tails on the other side.rose92The next petal is a variation of  a U stroke.
Start your brush on the tail edge of the very back bowl and make a varied U stroke.
As you can see this one only came halfway across the center bowl or maybe it looks more like 3/4.
rose93Now there is several ways to do this to make the roses vary so play around with it and get different looks to your roses.
Now the other side..
rose94It overlaps to create the unfolding of the rose
Now add the next arms, scalloped C strokes again..
rose95You do this on each side of the bowl and the tails come over the bowl somewhat.
This could be the finished rose or you can do a fancy stroke that I could not demonstrate in a photo.
For that you really need to see the video.
You can do a few chisel strokes here and there as you feel it needs.
And that is it.
I hope you whip out those brushes and paint, paint, paint.
Come on back, I will include a tutorial on painting the lilacs and leaves.

For another rose painting display I shared go HERE
paintarose10.jpg

Happy Painting!
signaturePamela_thumb.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...