Monday, September 10, 2012

The Latest Chicks

I know many are awaiting current photos of my latest hatch.  My Brinsea Advanced Incubator makes hatching a clutch of eggs a breeze. This is the fifth hatch since I bought it last Spring.

Here is a photo of my ‘girls’ (I am determined this batch are all hens) still inside the incubator lounging in its warmth the first hours after breaking free of their shells.

DSC_0004

They were rather fatigued from the tough fight to escape those tough shells.  They have perked right up over the past days.

DSC_0001

They are Black Copper Marans that lay the very dark brown eggs.  Out of 6 eggs only 3 were fertile so Mr Rooster was not keeping up. 

DSC_0004

Once they are big enough they will join the rest of my brood. My Swedish Flower rooster is getting big and he is a handsome boy.  He herds these hens all about the place letting them know who is boss.

DSC_0011

One of my Swedish Flower hens, she does not sport the top knot that her sister does but she is still pretty.

DSC_0012

Here the sister is hiding behind the Buff.  She rather reminds me of a Klingon.

DSC_0013

I have been allowing them out of the pen to scratch and bug catch in my back yard, I toss some grain in a patch I want them to weed for me.  They do a good job if I can get them to stay in one spot long enough. 

DSC_0015

This young lady is a Black Star.

DSC_0019

Do you remember me mentioning I am learning a new (to me) painting technique?  First off I have to mix up my palette in the color wheel.  I have already made a mistake.

I learned that when they say a touch of black they mean the tiniest drop.  The toned yellow turned out more brown so I had to remix in the next block. 

Sheesh, I have not even applied the brush to it and I am already dinkin’ it up.

DSC_0020

I did manage to make it to painting the first rose and quite frankly it is lousy but I will keep it always so that I can see my progress.  I forgot to photo it today but I will. 

Until next time..

signaturePamela

3 comments:

  1. Those chicks are so cute. The rooster is very handsome. You have quite a brood there. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful chickens! The babies are so dark, I would not have even known they were chickens if I saw one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love these chicks and all the chickens. :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...