Friday, October 7, 2011

2011 Summer’s End Party

My summer is one big long party for me, when I get to spend it in the garden.  There is no greater joy for me than to be outside on a warm summers day up to my elbows in dirt.

How fitting after our first storm of the season and our first frost overnight, to be in on a summer’s end party.  I am just recapping some of my favorite shots of my garden this summer.  I have more photos than you really want to see so I dug thru my files and chose a few to share.

Some you have seen in previous posts and others you have not.

This morning glory was one of my surprises this summer, it grew up the rose trellis attached to the chicken house.  Each morning this past month I was greeted with fresh unique blossoms, no two were ever alike! They made my heart sing.

DSC_0013

My other surprise late in the season, this Pink Swirl hibiscus.  It was in a pot all winter in my greenhouse, I had forgotten what it was and the marker had been misplaced, it was a mere bare stick when I plopped it into the ground about July.  It struggled and grew a mere foot or two high, then finally I recognized the foliage but I did NOT think it would bloom this year. And yet, here she is in all her girly glory!

DSC_0002

This Heavenly morning glory grew in one of my window boxes, the blue jays planted it for me.  I caught them again just this past week tucking more seeds into my hanging pots.  Why, I have not a clue but it shall be interesting to see what morning glories I get next year.

DSC_0007

My favorite garden decoration is my Ladies.  I do not let them roam outside of there pen much, we have neighborhood dogs that love to chase them.  Every now and again I let them out while I can sit outside and watch over them.

DSC_0003

One of my new plants, Tomato Soup echinacea, it was a stunner! I also have an orange one called Tiki Torch and for some reason I did not get a good photo of it. 

DSC_0008

Some of my favorites were the out of no where volunteers.  This Rose Campion cropped up and made it’s home in amongst the Black Eyed susies.  The color literally glowed.

DSC_0053

Some areas not tended at all this year thrived despite the neglect.

DSC_0046

And looked just as good as areas better treated!

DSC_0055

Another new favorite I started from seed, Cappuccino rudbeckia.  This flower was a full 5 inches across, it was huge and gorgeous.  The one plant is thick with blooms and stay upright, no need to stake.

DSC_0049

I have only a couple of these Leopard Lilies but they never fail to thrill me.

leopard lily

If the frost has not terminally damaged my geraniums by tomorrow I will shake the dirt from their roots and hang them in paper bags in my basement. 

 Last year I overwintered them in the house but they did not seem to do that well.  I have read about the basement trick and we shall see if it works.  If not I have a bazillion seeds to start fresh one next season and a ton of seedlings now in the greenhouse. 

I have turned loose of summer and am getting ready for my winter projects.  I have a new crochet wrap pattern I am dying to make. I bought the yarn today.  This is what it should look like when done but in a seamist color instead of the taupe.
imageclick on link below to access this pattern
http://www.naturallycaron.com/projects/vail_mountain/vail_mountain_1.html

What I like most about it is that it is done in the individual squares then you put them together so it will be easy to cart it with me to work on whenever I have to sit and wait somewhere or as I sit with my hubby while he watches t.v.  I can’t seem to just sit and watch t.v., I have to be busy doing something.
(I have to correct the statement above, I thought it was individual squares but it seems that you crochet them on when you make the squares)

I had a great day today, we ran to the Valley to do some shopping.  The golden hills along Hwy 4 were lovely, lots of baby calves in the fields with their moms.  I was wishing I had my camera with me. 
Later all…
signaturePamela




Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special

6 comments:

  1. Wow, gorgeous blooms and adorable Ladies! I've just gotten the crochet out in the last few weeks too. Seems as soon as the air cools it's time to have a project at hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blooms. I am lining up my winter projects, too, though they may be another month or two away for me (hopefully!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your flowers! Especially the rudbeckia and leopard lily. Wow!

    I'm a first time visitor from Funky Junk's party and am looking forward to following your blog.

    Have a great day!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your flowers, they are truely beautiful! I too am a first time visitor from Funky Junk's party. I'm off to take a look at your other posts. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful photos. I was pulling up annuals today and felt a bit sad to know that soon my garden will be blanketed with snow. It's a nice break, but I, like you am happiest in the garden up to my elbows in dirt. I have that same rudbeckia and love it. That first Morning Glory is so unique. I had quite a few plants pop up in unusual places. I love it when that happens. I just let them grow wherever. I love the cottage feel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your postings... And your photos are wonderful. Now you've spurred me to get out my crochet hook! Can you share your source for the shawl pattern... It is very lovely.

    Thanks,
    Kathie from upstate NY

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...