Monday, February 13, 2012

A Western Raised Bed

Good  morning all.  With the wonderful weather we have been having I decided to get a raised bed built to start our lettuce and spinach in.  I have a bed in back for that purpose but it does not get much sun right now.  

Click here to go to other post on straw bale raised beds.


So we are putting one on the South side of the house to capture what sun we can at this time of year.  We eat tons of lettuce and it makes sense to grow it since it is so easy.

First off we need to consider snow, we have not had much this year, especially compared to the numerous feet of it we got last year but we can get a good amount up thru May.  That being said we needed to build a cover for the bed to make it like a greenhouse that is strong enough to hold up to the heavy wet white stuff should we get it. 

coveredwagon1

My husband rounded up the scraps of 2x4’s and some 3/4 inch plywood and made this gambrel shape.  It is quite sturdy and he assures me it will take whatever the weather throws at it. 

coveredwagon2

A few more angles.

coveredwagon3

coveredwagon4

We covered it with some clear plastic, 6 mil I do believe.  Fastened it with staples but not all the way down so I can lift the sides to access the bed.

It reminds me of a covered wagon.

coveredwagon5

This should heat up whatever bed it sets on just fine and extend my season quite well.

coveredwagon6

We purchased some straw bales to set it up on, making a hot bed. First I will grow lettuce in it while the weather is on the cool side then use it for plants that like it hot, tomatoes, peppers etc.  Maybe I can get some good home grown tomatoes to ripen for me much earlier!

Also this makes it easier on my back rather than stooping to the ground.  Now to fill up the bed and plant my seeds.  Not today though.

raisedbed

Winter is reminding us that it is still here!

My back deck yesterday..

backdeckfeb12

And now today…

DSC_0001

I need to head to my studio, I have sign orders to fulfill.  A good day to spend indoors painting flowers!

signaturePamela

Transformation ThursdayBeyond The Picket FenceCopy_of_001Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special

10 comments:

  1. Pamela, I love the hotbed cover ... but even moreso the snow scene.
    Happy Valentine's
    TTFN ~
    Hugs,
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent hot bed. Your deck looks pretty under the snow. Enjoy your painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!! The hotbed is wonderful! more snow must come.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow,Hotbed look so wonderful.I really like this idea.It really creative and wonderful.

    lasik grand rapids

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea, Pamela! You will enjoy your early produce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Pam! I am anxious to see how the hot bed works. I am also in California, at 4000 ft. so I will be watching close. Thank you so much for sharing on the Farmgirl Friday blog hop! Have a GREAT weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that covered wagon planter is adorable.....love the little potting bench on your deck and oh my goodness at that snow!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the new bed. We call it a chuck wagon garden here. It will work well for you once the snow has melted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your hot bed cover AND the raised straw planting bed. We'll definitely be doing that with our new garden. Beautiful snow pic that reminds me last year at this time we lived on a mountain and dealt with snow all winter long. Miss the view, don't miss the white stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In spite of all the drama and all the demands on my time as of late, I always look forward to finding time to host and share for Fertilizer Friday. I am so lucky to have such a great group of gardeners to share with...thank you so much for linking into my little party today...I look forward to many more posts as wonderful as this from you! (and to having the time to see every one of them!)
    I hope your week/weekend is just what you hoped it would be!!!
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...