Saturday, January 21, 2012

A Quiet Moment

A happy life must be to a great extent a quiet life, 
for it is only in an atmosphere of quiet that true joy dare live.
|
Bertrand Russell

I am listening to the rain be driven against the window panes as I sit in my dark, silent  bedroom sipping a deliciously hot cup of coffee, trying for all the world to be as quiet as possible. 

I must confess to being a snorer, a very loud snorer. It is very annoying to anyone trying to sleep in the same room as myself, so that is the reason my poor sleep deprived husband is even now sleeping on the couch in the living room and why I am trying desperately to keep as quiet as can be to let him catch up on his rest.

That being said, I love the quiet in the morning.  When my 4 kids were little I would get up early, toss some laundry on and enjoy a quiet cup of coffee before anyone got up.  It was my time to just be.  Time to reflect on what to accomplish that day before the hustle and bustle began.  Now they are grown and gone but I still like my morning reflection time, kind of like the quiet before a storm.

In the summer you will find me at first light out in my garden, sitting on my front steps just being.  Sunday mornings are my favorite, as everyone in the neighborhood seems to be sleeping in so there is absolute silence except for the birds singing and a few squirrels bickering.  

I just dwell on things I have to be thankful for.  Like a lovely place to live, our house is humble but cozy, the roof leaks (as is attested by the bowl and pots catching drips as we speak) but only when it rains. 

So I am thankful we did not go to the trouble of repairing the drywall where it leaked last year.  We just did not find the time to pull it down and redo it.  We did have the roof fixed (or so we thought) but now the true test as come with this downpour of a rainstorm and the roof failed.  Ah well, we will give it another go when spring comes and I can cross off worrying about fixing the ceiling for now.

I see weak light coming thru the blinds now, I should open them up and welcome the new day.  For some reason rainy days incite the desire to sew in me.  I have loads of fabric stashes to work from even though I gave tons away already.  I spent yesterday afternoon sewing a little jumper dress and had a grand ole time doing it.  I will share a photo soon. 

Enjoy your day.

~Pamela~

5 comments:

  1. The breaking of a new day ... nothing more peaceful & beautiful. Solemn moments to share with Him.
    Have a beautiful weekend ~
    TTFN ~
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure do understand your need for silence. It's one of the reasons I live where I do.
    I use to get up early, before my children did, too. I loved the time before life filled in... the time when I could think, plan and just be in a quiet place for a while.
    I thought you might get some snow yesterday. The rain is so wonderful. I heard it all night. Now it's quiet and everything outside is wet and glisening with moisture. It's just beautiful.
    I an thankful for this rain and for the beauty of this place.
    Nice post...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam, I felt a sense of peace just reading your post. And I admire you for living in the moment! Oh, and the rain, the glorious rain! We had rain last night for the first time in two months, and the plants are looking happier and brighter today than they have for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm right there in spirit, including tossing the laundry in and brewing some coffee before my quiet moments. It's just bliss, isn't it! So much gratitude. Did you sew today too? I'm leaning in that direction myself next week. Got the stash at hand! And, thus far, my machine works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love sitting in the quiet morning as well, a time to just be and listen to what the world has to say. There is nothing better than listening to the rain, something that just soothes my soul.
    Enjoy your day.
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...