Saturday, October 1, 2011

Oven Roasted Tomato Sauce with a twist


UndertheTableandDreaming




I know I promised this a couple days ago and I said I would try to get it posted before now but as is typical, life happens. 

I love this method of processing my garden fresh tomatoes as it is so easy and versatile. At least for me.

And this time around it was even easier as I had read on this post Roasted Tomato Sauce by An Oregon Cottage that said she doesn’t even bother to peel the tomatoes first. 

Normally, I do the dip in hot water until the tomato peel begins to split and remove from water and put in a sink of ice water.  The peel just slides off with ease but if one step can be successfully eliminated I am all for it.  I am not afraid to eat some tomato peels. 

I did use my strawberry huller to remove the core.

DSC_0002

This little handy dandy tool saves a lot of time.  This one is by Pampered Chef. 
Measure about 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a turkey roaster. I like using a pan with high sides to prevent spillage when I stir every half hour or so (smells to high heaven burning on the bottom of your oven, trust me)

DSC_0003

I also quarter a yellow onion, peel about 5 or 6 cloves of garlic and press them into the tomatoes then put into a 400 degree oven.

This batch I altered a bit as I had some fresh jalapenos on hand, I did seed and remove the white membrane from them.

I had lots of Zucchetta squash on hand and decided to toss it in too.  I just cut it into large chunks.  It all cooks down easily enough without the added work of chopping stuff smaller. 
DSC_0004

I place it in a 400 degree oven and set the timer for 30 minutes.  After 30 minutes I stir it all and put it back in for another 30 minutes and I stir again.  I let it cook down in 30 minute increments until it is the consistency I want.  These were all sauce tomatoes, Costoluto Genovese and San Romanos so it only took a couple hours, plus I did not have as many as I do at other times.

Here is the original recipe I altered to suit my needs.

4 pounds tomatoes, stemmed and quartered
1 large red onion (or 2-3 small), roughly chopped.
(OK to substitute yellow or other onions)
2 Jalepeno peppers (remove seeds for less heat)
16 cloves fresh garlic
1/4 C Extra Virgin Olive oil
1 Tbs dry oregano
(or a bunch of fresh oregano & basil) Combine ingredients in a 9x13 inch pan.
Roast at 450°F for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until juices get thick.
Tomatoes will get a bit blackened and will smell wonderful.
Let cool, and run through a food mill to remove skins & seeds.
The resulting puree will be nice & thick; no need to reduce.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.

I don’t have a food mill so that is why I had previously skinned my tomatoes and I don’t mind the seeds at all so I never worried about that one either.  Here is her variation to do a LOT of tomatoes at one time:


Roasted Tomato Sauce in Quantity

After my first taste of this sauce, I decided I wanted to make big batches. I switched to using my big turkey roasting pan. I put heaps of cut tomatoes into the pan, drizzle on a good cup of olive oil, and start roasting. As they cook down, I add a few more quarts of cut up tomatoes and drizzle on more olive oil. Along the way, I add several quarts each of chopped peppers and onions, 5 or 6 heads' worth of garlic cloves, and a handful of hot peppers. Toward the end, I throw in several handfuls of fresh basil leaves. This quantity takes 5-6 hours to cook down at 450'F. Give it a stir about every half hour so more tomatoes get a chance to blacken. From a batch that starts with 40 or 50 pounds of tomatoes, I generally end up with about a gallon of thick, rich sauce.

My sauce is more generic and toned down but it turns out wonderful.  I have and will again add the oregano and basil,  cooking them in before it is done and then it is ready as marinara when I pull it from the freezer.  I do not have a pressure canner so mine has to go into the freezer.  I freeze it in 2 cup batches.  We use the marinara version for our Chicken Parmesan and Pizza sauce.

I also use the base version for my Chili Colorado recipe and it is a winner as well.
Here is how this batch looked when done cooking:

DSC_0005

I ran it thru the blender and it was very rich and tasty, I froze it in 6 cup measures for Chili Colorado, the Zucchetta seemed to add a depth of flavor that surprised me and it was YUMMY. 

Give this a try when you are loaded down with fresh tomatoes.  It is well worth the effort.  

I hope all are enjoying their weekend. 
signaturePamela

ps: did anyone notice I changed my blog colors, I am just trying to get into this Fall stuff.


My Website


UndertheTableandDreamingThe Girl Creative<

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Pam for this. I have saved this for next year's tomatos. Great idea and so much less mess. It sounds really good and I'm sure freezes very well. Debi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm.....wish I had seen this before I used up the last of my toms!! Will file for next year!! and yes I noticed your blog colors change-beautiful flowers-like you am dragging my feet into fall !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a fabulous recipe. Thanks so much for sending it out to the ether!!

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...