Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Sewing Sunday

After a harrowing few days of constant snowfall I enjoyed seeing the sun shine today.  The light bouncing off the white snow made for a bright day indeed!

I spent most of my day in my sewing room working on some projects I started over 6 months ago, which got shelved when we moved.
So here is the one I am sharing today...(I actually used 3 pair of rip torn jeans to get 6 panels as some of the legs were torn up too)

Last year I bought an eBook on making skirt patterns for myself using my own measurements. It was easy to follow and I started with the 6 panel skirt.  
This is the pattern piece I made using my own measurements:

Since this was a practice run I used jeans that were headed for the rag bag to cut my skirt from. They were ripped and stained but I figured this would be for casual wear so no big deal.

To dress it up and to cover some stains I decided to paint on some trumpet vine.

A closer view.

There is a stain near the waistline that I have not figured out what how to deal with yet.  Paint more flowers or add a little pocket?

I would've modeled it for you but I have lost 10 lbs since making the pattern so the waist gapes on me now.
That is a good thing so no complaints here!
I can take it in very easily and will do so the next sewing day I get.

I also worked on a Juliet Tunic blouse.  I think it will turn out big as well but it is a practice run for that pattern also, but that is another post.

UndertheTableandDreaming MonkeyThe DIY Show OffPhotobucketCraft Link parties


  1. Really cute skirt and you can't even tell that it is made from a pair of pants. I love the shape of it.
    Thanks for sharing.

  2. What a great job on this skirt! I love working with denim, so fun. I hope that you will link this up with my Show and Share linky party, going on all week.

  3. Love the skirt. Maybe you can put more flowers at the top? Thanks for linking up to Creation Mondays @ ~The Life of Me~>!

  4. The skirt turned out wonderful! What a great idea to paint the vines to cover a stain... so pretty, too!
    Thanks for stopping by for a visit and for entering my giveaway! Sorry to hear about all of the roses you lost due to the cold temps... so sad. I haven't tried Hyde Hall yet... thanks for the suggestion. :)
    I hope you have a wonderful week... enjoy the sunshine!
    ~ Jo :)

  5. What a great idea! I just posted a jeans to skirt tutorial - but never even thought of making one this style! I love it!

  6. what a mahvelous idea from jeans, luv the style.

    Don't forget to add this project in our linking party where every Wednesday we showcase projects for our readers to discover.
    Thank you,


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...