Thursday, February 6, 2014

Flowers on our Stairs

Stair painting banner

Lately, I have been trying to work on my house.
Just little things. 
1.Curtains for the sliding glass doors (fabric is on order)
2.
Painting a larger dining table
3. Trying to figure out how to best hang some vintage plates
4. Shopping for a rug (for under the dining room table) that will compliment my living room Royal Palace wool rug, that I love. 
All with little time to spare and an oh so tight budget, so I take it little bits at a time. 
One thing that needed a bit of sprucing that I could piece meal working on is our stairs.
stairsbefore
Pretty sad looking and quite boring. 
I had spotted on Pinterest a stairwell spruced up with floral wall paper and loved it. 
And that inspired me to start painting. 
When I began the base coat my husband liked the white on it and suggested I paint flowers…
little did he know I was way ahead of him. 
Great minds think alike.
Impatient as I am I only base painted some of the stairs, before starting to paint on flowers.
I start with leaves and basing in the darker flowers with a bit of grey to give them depth.
Stair painting1
Sorry for the dark photo, this stairwell does not get good light.  So I do resort to a flash.
I also painted in some rose buds.
I painted in the darker roses, as they sit to the back of the painting.
Stair painting 2
Next is the lighter roses that overlap the darker here and there.
Stair painting 3
Though it is hard to tell because of the flash I added some shadowing to add more depth around parts of the leaves and roses.
painted stairs 6
Once it was dry I painted a protective coat of Varathane Spar Urethane in Satin.
This is a water based clear finish that does not yellow like Polycrylic or Polyurethane.
Now on to the next step. 
I think I will do pansies on the next step. 
Right now I am going to paint every other step to be sure it won’t be too busy.
So far I am loving it. 
I can’t wait to work on the next but today is a work on the mountain day. 
It is snowing out, good for the drought but bad for my having the drive in it. 
My half hour commute will be an hour or more depending on if anyone drives silly and has an accident ahead of me.
Adios for now and have a great day!

If you wish to view a tutorial on painting roses click here…Rose Tutorial

And a brief video showing me painting a rose similar to this…. Rose video

 

signaturePamela

1 comment:

  1. I think the stairs are going to look great once they're done. Great idea about only doing every second step, I agree it would be too busy if you did them all. They definately aren't going to be boring anymore! take care, Maryann

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...