Monday, January 27, 2014

Scrumptious Cherry Scones!

Cherry scones label

I am so glad you all so enjoyed my little Afternoon Tea with the Ladies post.

chickencollage
There are quite a few chicken fans out there. 
In that post I promised to share a recipe for my favorite tea time treat (anytime really).
Fair warning…
if you are on a new weight loss program and don’t want to be tempted to indulge in something not in your plan then save this to read later,
like 5 to 10 pounds of loss later. 
Just sayin’
Now with that disclaimer out of the way I will get on with the yummy stuff.
Cherry Scone1
I modified a basic Scone recipe from my mom’s old Betty Crocker recipe book, I think it dates back to the 50’s.
Now scones are not very sweet.
They are basically a slightly sweetened  biscuit with a bit of egg added into the dough. 
The sweetness comes from the preserves or jams served with it.
And the clotted cream to top it off…mmmmm.
Heaven!
But I have yet to find a good clotted cream in the U.S. so I substitute with a rich, thick, whipped cream.
Cherry Scone3
The dark chunks you see in the scone are dried cherries.
I only use the ones from Costco as all others I have tried just do not taste like cherries.
These do!
Now on to the recipe.

Cherry Scones
2 Cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 TB of sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 slightly beaten egg
1/2 tsp Almond Extract
1/2 cup Buttermilk
1/3 cup dried cherries

Let cherries soak in buttermilk while combining other ingredients.
preheat oven to 400 degrees
Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda.
Add salt and sugar.
Cut in butter until fine and crumbly.
In separate bowl combine buttermilk, cherries, almond extract and egg.
Mix into dry ingredients.
Plop dough out on slightly floured surface.

Knead dough a few times gently, not much, just a few times.
I put the entire wad of dough on baking pan covered with parchment paper and pat out to a 1/2 inch thick circle and cut into wedges.
I don’t bother separating the wedges. I just bake as is.
You can cut the scones out with a biscuit cutter or whatever shape you prefer.
I like fast and easy.
Optional: Brush top with buttermilk and sprinkle a bit of sugar on top for a bit of glitz.

Bake at 400 degrees for 12 minutes

I serve mine with cherry pie filling instead of cherry preserves as I have yet to find any preserves that actually taste like cherries.
And of course they are not complete without a big dollop of heavy whipping cream.
And that is my cherry scone recipe.
Grab your fork and Enjoy!

cherry scones 4

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...