Back in October I did a post on my desire to build a new work table for my studio. I wanted it to be counter height to make is easier on my back.
click here to go to that post
I used this plan to work from, it is from Ana-White.com, click on photo to go to her site.
I made it to my own specs. I wanted it to measure the same as the distance between the outer edges of my studio windows.
I used as much scrap lumber around this house that I could scrounge up, I had enough scrap 4x4’s for 3 of the legs but had to invest in a new one for the fourth leg.
I painted them with the sky blue I used on my bookcase.
I had purchased a Kreg Jig kit just for this job but it will be handy for any other furniture projects I choose to do and after cutting my teeth on this table I am ready for more. Here I am attaching the side apron to the legs, you can see my Kreg jig joints. I pre-painted the outside of the apron.
I attached the second side apron and stood them up to realize I had put the Kreg Jig holes in the painted side, oh well, I am used to fixing my goof ups. It will be easy enough to paint this side later.
With this Kreg Jig kit there was an added attachment I just love. It is a little dealy bobber that lets me attach my vacuum hose to the Kreg Jig and as I drill the holes the sawdust is cleaned right up. Now I don’t have to worry about pesky sawdust flying all about my studio when I build things in its heated comfort.
I was doing something wrong and had to go get Mr Builder (aka: husband) to come and help me figure out why my screws just kept spinning instead of tightening up to the wood.
My Kreg Jig instruction book said to make sure the clutch on the screw gun was set very loosely and I thought I had but it was still too tight so hubby loosened it and voila, success in getting tight joints.
After the base was assembled I started the attach the supports for the shelf.
I was very precise on my measurements. I knew I wanted the basket I stash my brown paper for shipping in to fit under the shelf so I set it up against the legs, set a board on it to add an extra bit of space and used it to set the level. I know, very high tech. It worked just fine despite its being so humble a method.
Then I painted the shelf.
I placed the shelf on its support and worked on the top. I went for white for contrast. I am going to coat the shelf and top with varathane to make it easier to wipe down and it is all ready to use.
I forgot to mention we used 3/4 inch plywood we had left from another project for the top and shelf, this is a more utilitarian table than an aesthetically pleasing one and it was easier and faster than individual boards plus, it was free.
I calculated the total cost for this and it came to just under $30 to build so in this one project I more than paid for the cost of the Kreg Jig Kit!
The lower shelf will work great for freshly base painted boards to dry out of the way.
Earlier in the day I was attempting to reacquaint myself with my point and shoot camera. The battery in my DSLR died on me earlier in the day, I forget to check its level, though I use it nearly everyday it lasts for months.
The shots I got that show me from the waist down I will use to help convince myself to start my walking routine again. They will be very effective to keeping me motivated. Actually I was getting a before shot of my painting jeans, I am going to spruce them up by painting designs on them rather than just having paint spots and patches all over.
These are well worn jeans. After these shots my husband had no trouble convincing me to take a walk with him. I definitely need to shape up! I need all the motivation I can get so I will have to keep a photo log of myself.
I took photos of our walk. We have been enjoying the unseasonably warm weather and the lack of snow. I will share our bare ground in my next post!
Let me know how you like my work table!